Hello hello! Happy Second Friday of the week! Because July 4th was in the middle of the week it felt like we had two itty bitty two-day weeks. Monday Friday Saturday. Monday Friday Saturday Sunday. Right? Or was that just me?
I hope everyone had a lovely day off. I slept in for a bit, headed to the park for burgers and frisbee playing, saw Ted (which was funnier than I thought!) and finished it off with some fish tacos. All in all, a good day. I did miss CA and BBQs and pools and fireworks but change is good.
Last Friday, I was headed off to Maine for Julia’s wedding and we stayed at a cottage on the water with this as a backyard…
As we drove across the state line, I noticed that Maine’s state motto is “The way life should be.” Which I thought was a little pretentious and pompous of them. But then I woke up on Saturday and went swimming in the river, ate eggs benedict with blackberry lemonade, stopped by an exhibit about Frances Perkins because the Museum’s Board Member, Morrison, (with full gray beard & Gilligan boat hat) told us to, and then headed for a rustic wedding complete with strawberries, lobster, and blues/folk dancing. The sun was shining and people were friendly. The way life should be. Oh Maine, you’ve weaseled yourself into my heart.
On the road I also spotted some New Hampshire license plates and their motto is “Live Free or Die.” Live.Free.Or.DIE. John McClane would be proud. Yippee-Kay-yay…
Some internet findings that I liked this week:
- Sisters doing it for themselves. And an article about how realistic this is for average working women.
- Another Motto.
- Well, now I really can’t leave the UWS.
- Some writing tips from McSweeney’s that make me smile.
- Tom Hanks remembers Nora Ephron.
- Is being busy all in your head?
- Love these pictures of bloggers. If you work on your computer, you know the feeling.
- Wish I had these Pop-Ups in my books when I was a kid. Or now!
- This neat planter waters your little green friends for you. Or if your thumb really isn’t green, these little guys can’t be killed! And are so freaking adorable.
- Oh, the power of Twitter…for finding bicycles!
- If you’re looking to adopt from a shelter in NYC, this website is full of bright, personable descriptions and big pictures!
Hope your weekend is full of sun, sunscreen, and watermelon!